Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Harder than I thought.

Okay… I am trying to calm down. I did it. I’m in. No backing out now. After I write this I’m gonna go meet somebody… and I don’t know what will happen then. Whoo… well, it wasn’t very pleasant how I got in. I went to school, knowing what I’d have to do, telling myself “YOU got yourself into this, McDodd, carry it through.” And I did.
In Whology class. I picked the easiest class to act up in. Mrs. Whoovier called me up. And I said “No.” and everyone turned to look at me… I kept telling myself “it’s for Whoville… it’s for Whoville…” she said, “What did you say?” I told myself not to wimp out… “I said no.” I said in as firm a voice I could manage. “REALLY, JoJo McDodd. Really no?” I whispered to myself “for the greater good” “Yes I said no. I don’t want to.” And it was true but under different circumstances I’d probably have rolled my eyes and done it. “You don’t want to.” I could hear the menace in her voice, she was the “Principal first, questions later” type and I knew it. “No, I don’t and you can’t make me.” She stood up. “Really? Could the principal make you?” “Try.” I said and that was challenge enough. “All right, to the principal’s office with you, young man.” “Can’t make me.” “Yes I can.” And she actually came over and picked me up. I was just trying to get to the principal’s office, I hadn’t planned on this. Now what? “Put me down!” “No way.” And I did something I would NEVER have done under other circumstances- I SWEAR I’d never do it… really. But I had to just this once. It worked, she dropped me. “Boys!” she called to the two bigger guys on either side of me. And while she was seeing if the bite had drawn blood, they took me to the office. The pager buzzed. “Mr. Cromley, JoJo McDodd is here to see you. Call his parents.” “Yes, I can see that.” He turned to me; I was slouching against the door. “I’m calling your father’s office.” ‘Too bad’, I thought, I always liked Mr. Cromley. Now he’s mad at me and he’s calling Dad…
“Hello, Miss Yelp, may I speak with the Mayor? …Hello, Mr. Mayor, this is Mr. Cromley, the Principal over here at Who-High… yes, I only wish I had pleasant news for you. Could you please come to my office? Your son is waiting… yes, I’m afraid so. Thank you.” He hung up the phone and motioned for me to sit down. I did. “I’m giving you a chance to explain before your teacher gets here. Want to?” “No.” I said stubbornly. I guess it wasn’t the answer he was expecting. I have only been to the office once before, and that time it was for something so minor I don’t even remember what it was. They didn’t even call Dad that time. But then she came in and I slouched farther. “Mr. Cromley, I think this young man might need a rabies test. He bit me.” She showed us a bandage on her arm. I rolled my eyes, the principal looked at me. “JoJo?” “Yeah I did it.” I said angrily, but starting to be appalled at my own rebellion. “What do you say?” He looked at me. I said nothing. “JoJo McDodd, I’m disappointed with you.” He said, looking into my eyes. I stared right into them but didn’t speak. “JoJo McDodd, say something!” My teacher hit my arm, not hard. I actually had to keep myself from hitting her back, that would be a little too far. Then… the door opened, and Dad came in. I couldn’t look at him. I didn’t want to see the pain I knew would be in his face. But now I can’t stop. He sat down. I looked away. “What’s the trouble?” He asked wearily. Mrs. Whoovier answered. “He refused to obey me in class, then he bit me when I tried to take him here!” She sounded horrified, but I don’t know what her face looked like. “Let me see…” Dad said a little incredulously. And the next thing I knew he said sharply “JoJo McDodd, look at this.” I looked. Whoa… I didn’t know I could actually make somebody bleed with my teeth. But I did. Dad looked at me. “Whatever possessed you to do THAT, young man?” He said… angrily, very angrily. “I don’t know.” I said and I fell back into the chair and folded my arms. Mr. Cromley turned to him. “He’s been acting this way all day.” “No I have NOT.” I said. “Take him out, Mrs. Whoovier.” The principal said. Dad looked at me as I went out. “JoJo, don’t think this is over.” And I went out. Dad came out a few minutes later. He stopped by the couch where I was sitting indignantly, having been told to wait there by Mrs. Whoovier. He dropped down on it with a sigh. “Do you want to tell me now or later?” I didn’t answer. “Later, then, and I assure you young man, we WILL discuss this later.” I didn’t look at him, I knew I was hurting him. And that’s when I realized this is gonna be harder then I thought.
After school, everything went like clockwork. I didn’t really wanna go right home, and I hung around the school for a while, hoping somebody from the gang would notice. And they did… at least, I’m still assuming they are the right gang. He came up to me. “Hey, McDodd, what happened there in the office?” I didn’t recognize him… but I didn’t have time to answer before Mrs. Whoovier came over and said, “He was rebellious and disrespectful and I heard what you just said because I’m watching him to see if he has rabies. I’ll be watching you, JoJo.” And she marched off. Guess she had enough politeness in her not to listen any further. The guy looked down at me with new interest. “Really. Say, you ever need a bodyguard, ya know, just to keep you out of trouble with those teachers?” “I wish.” I said, heart pounding. This might be it, try not to overplay it. “I would do anything to get back at all of them for THAT. They have no right to treat me like that.” I said, as if I was venting a little. And it was the right response. “Yeah, man I know what you mean. You’d really do anything?” “Just about.” “I got an idea. Tell you what, you meet me and a few of my friends tonight, and we’ll talk about it.” “Tonight?” I was getting more excited as this went on. “Yeah, tonight. Out here, say 12 midnight?” “I’ll be there.” I said. This might be easier than I thought, I thought as I headed home… that is, until I got home. I saw the house, and my shoulders sagged. I went in, and Mom was there like normal, greeting us all as we straggled in. She saw me and sighed. “JoJo Corbin McDodd, what have you done now?” I looked at the floor. “JoJo, why?” I shook my head. “I’m… going to my room.” “You know your father will want to talk to you.” I nodded. She sighed, shaking her head. She put out her hand and it brushed over my cheek. Tried to smile. I couldn’t stand it any more, I went to my room. I tried to get out my homework and work on it; I tried to think of something new for the symphoniphone, I couldn’t. So I just sat and thought, and that turned into tears, and through the sobs I heard a knock on my door. Second time in two days it’s happened. “Yeah?” I dried my eyes. “It’s your father.” “Not locked.” He came in and sat in my chair for my desk. I was on the bed, and now I knew that this wasn’t gonna be a very good meeting, usually he’d come over and sit on the bed. This was more of the condemned being lectured type of thing. “JoJo Corbin McDodd. What do you have to say for yourself?” “Nothing.” I said. “That’s right, nothing. You have no excuse for such behavior and you know it.” I nodded. “And now you aren’t acting up like you were at school, whatever made you do that? You BIT your teacher, BIT her. If you were four maybe, but not fourteen. Not just that she’s a Who, you should never do that to ANYONE, but she’s also a lady and you are supposed to be a gentleman and we don’t bite ladies. We don’t bite anyone, do you hear me? I sound like I’m talking to a two year old, JoJo. Act your age, young man. And don’t even think that your rebellion is mature. It’s not.” He had stood up and come to stand in front of me. Now he sat down on the bed. “JoJo, please, what’s wrong, buddy? Let me help.” “I don’t need help and I don’t want help. Everybody thinks I can’t do anything for myself when I can. It’s not like anybody even cares.” Now I fell back into the pillows. I want to be alone, I want everything to go away. “JoJo…” “Please, Dad, just go away.” I didn’t see the look on his face. I don’t want to, but he left. I didn’t wanna go to dinner, but I thought I should, so I did, and Dad kept looking at me like he wanted to say something but couldn’t. And all he managed to eventually say was "Don't let it happen again."

I’m hurting him. I didn’t realize this would be so hard like this. I don't think... No, I would still have done it even if I'd known this would happen. It's for Whoville, it's not about me.

And now I'm gonna go meet this guy. I don't know what will happen then.

No comments:

Post a Comment